AardvarkSport.net - Sports Search Engine AardvarkSport.net - Sports Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grand National 2006: Third time lucky for Clan Royal?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkSport.net Forum Index -> Horse Racing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcus
Apprentice
Apprentice

14 Ants

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Grand National 2006: Third time lucky for Clan Royal? Reply with quote

Saturday april 8th: Grand National day. Will Clan Royal at last be crowned the hero?

In 2004 caught by Amerleigh House in the closing stages.
In 2005 caught by loose horses at Becher's Brook 2nd circuit when leading by 10 lengths.
In 2006.....?

The going is now good to soft, but with rain forecast it will get softer at Saturday.

Maybe I'll back Silver Birch. He loves soft ground.
Although... there must be a reason why Martin Pipe is willing to race Puntal. He ran well two years ago but blundered at the 19th. Three weeks later he won at Sandown, beating Royal Auclair in a 3 m 5f race. Royal Auclair was last year's runner up in the Grand National. And now I hear that Barry Geraghty has opted to ride Puntal. He won the race in 2003 with Monty's Pass. Though Puntal has not been seen out since December 2004, and normally he's at his best at fast ground, I'm a bit suspicious.

Is there any one with another fancy?
MikeH
World Champion
World Champion

972 Ants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting post. I usually have a flutter on the national, not sure why as its a blinking lottery. The odds on Clan Royal are not very generous 6/1 at best. However, Puntal looks a bit risky at 66/1.

What are the rest of you guys thinking of backing. I may chuck a couple of quid on Clan Royal and maybe an each way bet on Cornish Rebel.

Mike.
Marcus
Apprentice
Apprentice

14 Ants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right: the National is a Lottery, ever since 1839, when the winner was called....

I haven't dreamt about the race yet, but I really think it might be an outsider's year. So I've made up my mind: Silver Birch and Puntal are the ones for me. Ofcourse it's better to try to use my brains, but every year it's the same: it's nice to have a few serious thoughts about a possible winner, but after 10 minutes of thinking I'm convinced they all can win. And the last time I picked the winner was 1991! (Seagram)

Tomorrow I will decide if I'm gonna back a third one. And though I feel that Clan Royal deserves to win; if I'm going to add a third bet it will be Forest Gunner. Because it's time a lady should win. And it would be a great farewell to Ginger McCain, too! Wink
Marcus
Apprentice
Apprentice

14 Ants

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the betting shop where I went one could only bet on a maximum of 24 horses, which meant that some horses were coupled, and the shortest prize of a couple will be payed.
My final choices were Puntal, Silver Birch and Nil Desperandum (instead of Forest Gunner). I think Nil Desperandum is a thorough stayer and the fact that the ground has turned softer could be in his favour, too. They were coupled with Baron Windrush, Iznogoud and It Takes Time. Baron Windrush and It Takes Time are pretty good horses, and Iznogoud might be good enough to get round. Consequently I had no problem with accepting these couples. So now I have 6 chances. Let's wait and see.
Marcus
Apprentice
Apprentice

14 Ants

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the shouting is over. A very good winner: Numbersixvalverde, let's take a holiday!
Hedgehunter is a class act, Clan Royal as tough as nails and Nil Desperandum gave me at least until the final fence the feeling that this year I DID use my brains.

Puntal: strange race. Great jumping in front. He was flying over The Chair and almost caught Ballycassidy (who ran a big race, too). But then he was weakening after the 20th, 4th at Becher's second time, 15th or something like that at the Canal Turn and coming back strongly to finish 6th. I wonder what Barry Geraghty had to say.

I did miss the walk to the old winner's enclosure, though. All that shouting and screaming. Only at the new enclosure itself the old National atmosphere was back again.
MikeH
World Champion
World Champion

972 Ants

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I backed Clan Royal and Hedgehunter to win. What luck hey. Nothing for second and third. Never mind.

Mike.
paul
World Champion
World Champion

5441 Ants

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't go each way, Mike? Confused

Paul
MikeH
World Champion
World Champion

972 Ants

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. I was going for the big bucks and it did not pay off.

At least I'm still winning the not for profit international football pool.

Mike.
dbuttno
Apprentice
Apprentice

13 Ants

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Brick for me

www.onepiecemissing.com

Its the way of the horse.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkSport.net Forum Index -> Horse Racing Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum