AardvarkSport.net - Sports Search Engine AardvarkSport.net - Sports Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Running on a treadmill vs. running outside

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkSport.net Forum Index -> Athletics Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul
World Champion
World Champion

5441 Ants

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Running on a treadmill vs. running outside Reply with quote

On several occasions I have read that running on a treadmill is not the same as running outside, and that you should put the treadmill on anything from a 1% to a 3% incline. One magazine I read recently said that a 7 minute mile outside was equivalent to a 7:30 on a treadmill. That's a huge difference.

Is there any substance behind this and, if so, can someone please explain why there's such a marked difference?

Thanks

Paul
athleticsforum.net
Apprentice
Apprentice

8 Ants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. When you run outside, the floor doesn't automatically move backwards behind you, you have to use your own strength to push yourself forward, and thats it. Whereas on a tredmil, you use 50% effort to push yourself forward because the other 50% is done by the tredmil by pulling the ground backwards!

You should never replace tredmil running for outside running. Tredmil running is good though, but always mix it up. If you have the change, run outside instead. Tredmil is good for inclide training, running on a flat tredmil with no incline, isn't as painful as running normally outside Very Happy

If you would like more information you can post a question at <link removed>

Hope I could help you Smile
paul
World Champion
World Champion

5441 Ants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply - that's helpful. But please don't use the board to promote your own, beyond having a sigfile.
KickNit
Amateur
Amateur

38 Ants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who has done both I can honestly say that I've seen the best results from running outside. I only run on the treadmill when I don't feel like running in the rain or extreme cold. Otherwise, it's outside. There is no substitute.
paul
World Champion
World Champion

5441 Ants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say "best results"... can you elaborate on that? What do you mean exactly?

Paul
KickNit
Amateur
Amateur

38 Ants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, by best results I mean the conditioning aspect of running. Running outside has improved my leg strength, cardio endurance, and I've increased my running speed. I rarely get these benefits on a treadmill. I think one would have to run a long time on a treadmill to get the same benefits as running outside.
paul
World Champion
World Champion

5441 Ants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting... has there been any research on the subject, do you know?

I have read before that you need to put a running machine on a 3-4% incline to get the equivalent of running outside... don't know where this figure comes from, but it does make sense that there should be some incline to compensate for the movement going on beneath your feet which surely makes treadmill running that little bit easier to being on terra firma.
KickNit
Amateur
Amateur

38 Ants

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think I've read the same thing about inclines. I have noticed that when I do set a treadmill to incline I do get more of a workout. But it's more of a cardio workout. I don't think it has as much affect on leg strength as actually running outside where pushing off a solid surface is impacting the muscle strength. As far as research goes, there's probably some out there, but I haven't looked for it. Since I don't like to run on treadmills, it hasn't been something that I've been particularly interested in.
Mooney
Novice
Novice

9 Ants

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always find running on a treadmill gets better results than outside. This is probably because of the threat of falling of the back if i slack too much!
DanG
World Champion
World Champion

1359 Ants

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't running on roads harmful for your legs because of the shockwaves produced from the impact of your stride on the hard concrete...?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkSport.net Forum Index -> Athletics Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum