AardvarkSport.net - Sports Search Engine AardvarkSport.net - Sports Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Australian Football
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkSport.net Forum Index -> Aussie Rules Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ddj18
Novice
Novice

5 Ants

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:30 am    Post subject: Hawthorn supporters Reply with quote

Hey guys, stumbled apon this forum somehow, Hawks supporters allowed??? im a keen AFL supporter, played for 14 years and go for the mighty hawks who undoubtedly will win the grand final this year. j/k
aaron
Groundsman
Groundsman

6175 Ants

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello ddj18 and welcome to Aardvark... Wave

If you have a moment, please complete your profile and introduce yourself a little more here.

As for the Hawks, do you not think their injury crisis might get in the way a little?

Jonathan Hay is sidelined for the first two months of the season due to his knee injury. And Steven Greene and Kris Barlow suffered knee injuries in a practice match at Morwell. And then in the past week the Hawks have lost two of their most promising youngsters Rick Ladson and Tim Boyle to a broken wrist and leg respectively.

Other key players such as Peter Everitt, Nick Holland and John Barker will go into Saturday’s first round clash with minimal match practice.

Aaron
Eagles1
Semi-professional
Semi-professional

64 Ants

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard ddj18,
About time we got another fan here, for our great game.
To help keep the thread ticking over, will be following the Eagles weekly games in 2004. D o you want me to post the Hawks and opponents teams as well.

We will start this week in following the fortunes of my AFL club West Coast Eagles in the 22 round AFL regular season (Home and Away series) The club is "expecting" to finish in the top four of the 16 team league. No club outside the 4 has ever won the premiership flag in recent years. If anybody in Cyberspace wants to watch the games on TV and ask questions – Contact us with your location and we will try to give TV Cover details.
FIRST EAGLES 2004 MATCH - SUNDAY MARCH 28 AEST
Western Bulldogs vs. West Coast Eagles Telstra Dome in Melbourne - 2:15 PM AEST
TEAMS SELECTED
Western Bulldogs :
B: Robbins, Grant, Power HB: Smith, Grant, Hargrave C: Eagleton, West, Harris HF: Cooney, Rawlings, Johnson F: Hahn, Darcy, Bowden Foll: Street, R.Murphy, Cross Inter (from): Boyd, Giansiracusa, Ray, Croft, Koops, Garlick, Morgan New: Cooney (West Adelaide), Koops (Fremantle), Morgan (Port Adelaide), Rawlings (Hawthorn), Ray (Peel Thunder), Peter Street (Geelong)

West Coast Eagles:
B: Wirrpunda, Lynch, Carroll HB: Sampi, Jakovich, Banfield C: Morrison, Cousins, Embley HF: Chick, Staker, Jones F: Matera, McDougall, Adkins Foll: Cox, Judd, Fletcher Inter (from): Gardiner, Humm, Braun, Seaby, Nicoski, Green, Johnson New: Seaby (West Perth), Nicoski (Subiaco)

West Coast Eagles:
Experts 2004 Draw rating over 22 rounds = Very tough.
While Victorians always point to the Eagles 12 games in Perth as reason why this club seems to make the finals every year, the Perth club has one of the hardest fixtures in 2004. Not only do they meet Brisbane, Essendon and Fremantle twice but their once-only games against leading Victorian clubs St Kilda and Collingwood are both in Melbourne and they have to make the long trip to Tasmania to play Hawthorn. The only positives are just one trip to Adelaide and no trip to Sydney.
sportshosting
Champion
Champion

110 Ants

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About time Aaron set a forum up for aussie football. Smile

Sorry Aardvark staff but
C'MON THE LILYWHITES (Rhyl FC)
aaron
Groundsman
Groundsman

6175 Ants

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sportshosting wrote:
About time Aaron set a forum up for aussie football. Smile

I have been wondering just that... if I did, would you be able to get a few more members in for us, Dewey, to help make up the numbers...? Smile

Aaron
ddj18
Novice
Novice

5 Ants

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oi guys

I got a few AFL fans over here, most of them are pretty slack but i will see what i can do...im sick of watching these whitewash grandfinals, i wish it could go back to the days such as the 1989 Grandfinal, what a cracker it was

Dewey
Eagles1
Semi-professional
Semi-professional

64 Ants

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:25 am    Post subject: The Hawks team Reply with quote

Here are the teams for the ddj18 game on Saturday Mar 27

Hawthorn :
B: McCabe, Graham, Beaumont HB: Smith, Jacobs, Croad C: Vandenberg, Crawford, Lekkas HF: Hodge, Barker, Dixon F: Williams, Thompson, Brown Foll: Everitt, Mitchell, Ries Inter: Campbell, Cox, Lonie, Clarke Emerg: Osborne, Sewell, Holland New: Beaumont (Carlton), Croad (Fremantle), Jacobs (Essendon)

Melbourne:
B: Bizzell, Nicholson, Whelan HB: Brown, Rivers, Ward C: Green, Yze, Johnstone HF: Robertson, Holland, Miller F: White, Neitz, Davey Foll: Jolly, Thompson, Godfrey Inter: Wheatley, Williams, Heffernan, McDonald Emerg: Carroll, Armstrong, McLean New: Davey (Port Melbourne), Holland (Richmond)
aaron
Groundsman
Groundsman

6175 Ants

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit busy this weekend, but I'll see what I can do about a new forum just for Aussie Rules in the very near future. In the meantime, keep the posts coming to the 'Other Sports' forum. They'll all get moved to the right place once the new forum has been created.

Aaron
sportshosting
Champion
Champion

110 Ants

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will take a while to get the Aussie rule football quote ready.

Sorry Aardvark staff but
C'MON THE LILYWHITES (Rhyl FC)
aaron
Groundsman
Groundsman

6175 Ants

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sportshosting wrote:
It will take a while to get the Aussie rule football quote ready.

That's a very good point... here are some contenders for the new "Aussie Rules Forum":

"An Essendon supporter is a Collingwood supporter that has money" Jack Dyer

"I believe in rules. Sure I do. If there weren't any rules, how could you break them?" Leo Durocher

"An Australian Rules Football player has been suspended for biting an opponent's scrotum during a match." Ananova

"Mark Lee's long arms reached up like giant testicles" Jack Dyer

Feel free to comment or add your own... Smile

Aaron
Eagles1
Semi-professional
Semi-professional

64 Ants

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:04 am    Post subject: West Coast Eagles Win Reply with quote

Final Scores – First Quarter Second Quarter Third Quarter Fourth Quarter
West Coast 5.5 11.8 15.10 22 12 -144
Western Bulldogs 7 2 11.6 16.11 20.17 -137

For the newcomers to our sport this match was played in Melbourne at the Telstra Dome. This is a fully enclosed ground with a retractable roof, with a capacity of 54,000. The grass surface has caused problems being laid basically on concrete base. There are no artificial surface grounds used in Aussie Rules.
This game was a shoot out from the start, and was a terrific game to watch, with a high standard of play. The crowd (18,000) (Was small but very noisy) due to the Eagles being from interstate. Both sides had the lead various times, with the Eagles being behind at one time by 35 points.
In the last quarter the lead changed a couple of times, but in a very tight finish the West Coast kicked the last 2 goals (6 points for a goal) to win it by 7 points. The Bulldogs are a very improved side from last season and will finish higher than they did in 2004. Their No 1 National Draft pick -18 year old Adam Cooney made his debut., and showed why he was chased by a lot of clubs.
Next week the Eagles play Port Adelaide Power from South Australia at home at Subiaco Oval in Perth. These clubs have developed a big rivalry and this should be a very physical game. Most Eagles matches in Perth in 2004 are expected to be sell outs (43,000)
The West Coast have a membership of 39,000 leaving 4,000 seats for the public.

There are currently 3 overseas clubs lnked to the Eagles -
Dublin Eagles - Ireland
Toronto Eagles - Canada
Baltimore-Washington Eagles - USA
Eagles1
Semi-professional
Semi-professional

64 Ants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject: Round 2 AFL Season Reply with quote

Sportsfans,
Here are the teams for the Eagles v Port Adelaide Power match tomorrow April 3. Eagles are at home in Perth, and have a very good record on their home ground.
IN = Classy midfielder Daniel Kerr returns after match suspension. OUT = Drew Banfield with knee injury.
For the newbies to our sport- B = Backs HB = Half Backs C = Centre Line HF = Half Forwards F = Forwards Foll = Followers or Ruckmen I/C = Interchange = 4 players EMG = 3 Emergencies for any late withdrawls.

West Coast :
WEST COAST B: Wirrpunda, Carroll, Braun HB: Staker, Lynch, Morrison C: Chick, Cousins, Embley HF: Sampi, Jakovich, Judd F: Matera, McDougall, Cox FOLL: Gardiner, Kerr, Fletcher I/C: Jones, Humm, Adkins, Green EMG: Waters, Seaby, Hunter IN: Kerr OUT: Banfield

Port Adelaide:
B: Wilson, Bishop, Thurstans HB: Kingsley, C.Cornes, Wanganeen C: Schofield, Carr, Montgomery HF: Dew, Tredrea, Salopek F: S.Burgoyne, Lade, Surjan FOLL: Brogan, P.Burgoyne, K.Cornes I/C: Cassisi, Cochrane, Ebert, Pettigrew EMG: Forster-Knight, Mahoney, Poulton IN: Ebert OUT: Pickett (shoulder) NEW: Ebert (Port Adelaide/SANFL)

Port have dominated the normal AFL season games but on reaching the finals have not gone on with it, in the last 3 seasons. 2004 is a crucial season for them and their coach. After they failed in 2003 Finals the clubs chief sponsor called for the coaches removal, but he retained the job.
Don`t forget if you watch it on TV anywhere ask the questions about the finer points.
aaron
Groundsman
Groundsman

6175 Ants

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, haven't forgotten about your new forum... just been rather busy. We'll get it sorted for you soon.

Aaron
Eagles1
Semi-professional
Semi-professional

64 Ants

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Round 2 Reply with quote

Hi everybody - Bad news they got beaten by Port by a miserable 3 points. Had their chances. They hit the goal posts 3 times in last minutes of the match. That is roughly equivalent of hitting the cross bar in Soccer. Read on ------------------------

PA 3.3 10.6 14.7 18.10 (118)
WCE 4.0 7.3 12.10 17.13 (115)
GOALS: PA - Tredrea 5, Thurstans 3, S. Burgoyne 2, Kingsley 2, Schofield, K. Cornes, Dew, P. Burgoyne, Cassisi, Lade; WCE - Sampi 5, Matera 3, Judd 2, Gardiner, Embley, Chick, Staker, Jakovich, Cousins, Adkins
BEST: PA - Tredrea, K. Cornes, Thurstans, S. Burgoyne, Wilson; WCE - Judd, Sampi, Cox, Kerr, Gardiner, Matera

UMPIRES: Vozzo, Allen, McInerney

ATTENDANCE: 39,760 at Subiaco Oval

Port Adelaide maintained its impressive record at the "house of pain" after holding on to beat West Coast in a cliffhanger. The win was Port's seventh from 10 games at Subiaco Oval, giving it the best record of any visiting club at the ground.
The Eagles will be cursing a string of missed opportunities during a frenetic last quarter.
Dean Cox, Phil Matera and Chris Judd all hit the post from point-blank range as the Eagles came agonizingly close in the dying seconds of the game.
Port's star centre half-forward Warren Tredrea was the difference between the two teams.
He gave his side a tall target inside 50 with 21 possessions, including 12 marks, in a best on ground performance. Port also had a tall goalkicking option in Toby Thurstans.
But the Eagles, with no recognized tall forward, had to rely on sharpshooters Sampi and Matera to do the bulk of the team's scoring.
The match was a shootout with rival coaches Mark Williams and John Worsfold backing their midfields to win the game. But Port was able to contain Ben Cousins and restrict the mercurial Judd's influence on the game.
The Eagles started well with Matera and Sampi dangerous around the goals.
Matera kicked three goals in the first half and had a tremendous duel with Wanganeen, while at the other end of the ground the Eagles gave David Wirrpunda the job of containing the brilliant Shaun Burgoyne.
Port implemented a couple of surprising match-ups when it used two talls, first Michael Pettigrew and then Matthew Bishop, on Sampi, who kicked a goal in each of the first two quarters.

Can all the fans out there understand all of the football lingo/slang used-----
The AFL now offer FREE LIVE audio broadcasts of the games as they happen for all international internet fans. Go to AFL website and details are on main page
Until next week,
aaron
Groundsman
Groundsman

6175 Ants

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pleased to announce that Aussie Rules now has its own forum. Cool

Aaron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkSport.net Forum Index -> Aussie Rules Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Google

Business ForumSport ForumTravel Forum