AardvarkSport.net - Sports Search Engine AardvarkSport.net - Sports Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkSport.net Forum Index -> Athletics Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

4 Ants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Spiking Reply with quote

I don't have a background in Track and Field so was wondering if anyone can help.
My 10year old son is a good strong runner and easily keeps up with his old man on training runs. I've been running for 3years now and I'm an "adequate" fun runner.
So I took my son along to a local athletics club where the longest distance they train for at that age is 800m.
He initially came on in leaps and bounds and was doing an 800m in under 3minutes. He was almost breaking into the levels of the small clique of boys who were getting picked to run for the club on a regular basis.
Then his performance at training started to suffer. After every session he was coming home with spike marks on his knees and shins.
Last night he lost his place running for the club in the 800m and we were both bitterly disappointed.

My question is this;
How easy is it to get spiked doing this event? Is the amount of spiking he receives normal or am I just being paranoid?

Obviously I'm concerned that when it comes to winter and the cross country season, which he is much better suited to distance-wise, getting spiked by the much longer x-country spikes could be dangerous.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkSport.net Forum Index -> Athletics Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum