AardvarkSport.net - Sports Search Engine AardvarkSport.net - Sports Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tips for a beginner...?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
laz
Champion
Champion

308 Ants

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Tips for a beginner...? Reply with quote

OK, at long last I have succumbed and bought myself some golf clubs. So now, anyone got any tips...??! Rolling Eyes Smile

I played a lot of pitch and put when I was a kid, so my short game's reasonably OK (well, good enough for me at the moment). But, as I found out on my first few visits to a driving range, and my first few rounds on a full-yardage course, my long game is rubbish! I really struggle to get any distance in a straight line, and I have a serious hook with my driver and woods. In fact, not even really a hook, as the ball does not curve left, it simply sets of left and goes even moer left as it flies... Mad
spiderbloke
Professional
Professional

205 Ants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best advice I can give it to take lessons at your local golf club as to be honest I can't see what you're doing wrong and how you could improve over the internet.

As for driving remember to line your shot up carefully, then follow through with the swing.
laz
Champion
Champion

308 Ants

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... yes, I though that might be the answer.... Confused Smile

I have noticed that when I swing with a wood, my club head really turns a lot, so ends up angled like this:

o\

rather than this

o|

My right hand seems to rotate over the club, but this doesn't seem to happen when I swing an iron.
paul
World Champion
World Champion

5441 Ants

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you aimed to hit the ball like this:

o/

...would that not translate as this:

o|

...once you follow through, with your particular swinging style? Have you tried that?

Paul
laz
Champion
Champion

308 Ants

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul wrote:
If you aimed to hit the ball like this:

o/

...would that not translate as this:

o|

...once you follow through, with your particular swinging style? Have you tried that?

Paul

Hmmm.. I thought that too, but instead, I hit the floor! Or, if I try to compensate, I miss altogether! It ain't easy this game, is it?!?!
spiderbloke
Professional
Professional

205 Ants

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it hard to get to grips with but some basic tips really helped me, go to a beginner course, start with the basics and work your way up.
girlsgame
Novice
Novice

2 Ants

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: idilic game of golf! Reply with quote

being a beginner of any sport is hard and especially when the rules dont bend your way. a great tip is head down, knees bent and learn some golf lingo- FOUR! ! !

The schoolteacher was taking her first golfing lesson.

"Is the word spelt p-u-t or p-u-t-t?'' she asked the instructor.

"P-u-t-t is correct,'' he replied.

"Put means to place a thing where you want it. Putt means merely a vain attempt to do the same thing."

good luck...
swingingkatz
Apprentice
Apprentice

14 Ants

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lessons at your local course and spend time on the driving range to get used to the clubs as well. A lot of beginners go our hacking their way around a course only to get discouraged.

Most good golf pro's will offer a lessons package as well as a lesson out on the course itself to get you used to the etiquette of the game as well as the basics.

Hope this helps?
robrobson
Amateur
Amateur

37 Ants

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: My #1 Tip Reply with quote

Never let yourself take it too seriously!
CoachRob
Apprentice
Apprentice

24 Ants

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I suggest that taking lessons is great however consider this....

A 4 hour round of golf. How long do you spend playing golf? About 10 minutes average set up and swing time. That leaves 3 hours and 50 mins to think about what you are doing wrong, your next shot, for most your last shot and how can you get better. I Coach the mind game and can I tell you the mind is the most important 6 inches on the course. Use both types of coaching and you will find massive improvement.

Regards

Robert Snow
Robine
Apprentice
Apprentice

21 Ants

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Golf tips Reply with quote

Practice on the range with the following setup:

Stand upright with your feet together, ball in front of you, club in hand. Slightly bend your knees and waist so your body's profile resembles this:

head
/ --> back
\ ---> legs above knees
/ ----> lower legs
feet BALL

Your weight should be in the middle of your feet.

With feet still together, try and swing and strike the ball perfectly without moving your head in any direction. Keep your head completely still. If you can do this without tipping over and moving your feet to catch yourself, you have succeeded. After many hours on the range mastering this without falling outside your feet, then try it without your right arm (meaning only swing with the left arm and hand holding the club; keep your right arm and hand at your side out of the way).

This drill will help your body memorize how to swing the club without losing your balance, and will teach you the correct tempo from which to execute the swing (which is the most important aspect of the golf swing).
attitudelife1127
Apprentice
Apprentice

19 Ants

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: the importance Reply with quote

I thought the most important thing is that you should notice that your weight should be in the middle of your feet.
golf fun
Apprentice
Apprentice

30 Ants

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a good tip for how to swing, I hope it is helpful for you! Here it is:
The new golfer will watch the likes of Tiger Woods and think that they have to swing fast and hard to get the ball moving.
But a more observant golfer will notice that there is an even tempo in all the top golfer's swings.

The poor shot that usually results from a quick swing is bad enough, but the problem is increased if the golfer does not realise that he or she is swinging too fast, and may put the blame of the bad shot onto another cause.

To determine whether it was swinging too fast that caused the mi**** shot, merely reflect on how your swing felt. Specifically, try to remmeber taking a backspin. If you cannot remember any backswing sensations, you probably swung too fast.

In that case, take two or three practise swings, before you play your next shot and feel your arms swinging back and forward.

Try to repeat this sensation when you play the actual shot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkSport.net Forum Index -> Golf Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum