Joined: 05 Mar 2004
|Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:17 pm Post subject: R.I.C.E treatment
|REST, ICE, COMPRESSION, ELEVATION
No not the rice you would put into a curry or your Chinese food. This RICE is a method of treatment for soft tissue injuries.
This treatment called RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) is to be used for most casses of sof tissue injuries. Such as sprains, strains and impact injuries. We should treat this injuries soon as possible after they occur. This will prevent the injury from becoming worse.
Rest - Reasons
* reduces internal bleeding
* prevents further injury
* Stop your activity
* support the injury in a confortable position
Ice - Reasons
* reduces blood flow, pain and swelling
* Put an ice pack on the injury, for 10-15 minutes every hour. Remove the ice pack after 15 minutes, so blood will increase to try to heat up the iced area
Compression - Reasons
* reduces internal bleeding and swelling
* Wrap a bandage firmly around the injured area. Do not stop the blood flow so try not to wrap the bandage too hard
Elevation - Reasons
* reduces internal bleeding and swelling and throbbing
* raise the injury above the level of the heart [/img]
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I just beat people up.
A fitness resource online