AardvarkSport.net - Sports Search Engine AardvarkSport.net - Sports Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I may get slammed for this....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkSport.net Forum Index -> Aussie Rules Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wiley
Amateur
Amateur

25 Ants

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: I may get slammed for this.... Reply with quote

But could someone explain Aussie Football to me? Not trying to be a wise guy or anything like that but I don't really understand and would like to get the basic concept.

Thanks.
Neddy
Amateur
Amateur

30 Ants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there is alot to know what did you want to know? basic rules or what? it seems like it doesnt get much traffic this forum but i will do my best
Eagles1
Semi-professional
Semi-professional

64 Ants

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a US Aussie Rules Club --- (Noticed you are linked with a NFL forum)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Australian Rules Football. Maybe you've seen it, maybe you haven't. You could mistake it for rugby, but it's nothing like rugby, or you could've seen it late at night on ESPN during the eighties, but it's not as violent as it was made out to be. Commonly referred to as Aussie Rules, or footy, it is a fast moving, action packed game, requiring many of the skills found in rugby, basketball, soccer, hockey and a few others thrown in for good measure.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pretty good description from a neutral point of view. -It does look a bit chaotic at first . Why no OFFSIDE. Player numbers are not set positions as in other sports. They can go anywhere. US players call it the 360 degree game. Body contact from any direction.
Neddy
Amateur
Amateur

30 Ants

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagles1 wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Australian Rules Football. Maybe you've seen it, maybe you haven't. You could mistake it for rugby, but it's nothing like rugby, or you could've seen it late at night on ESPN during the eighties, but it's not as violent as it was made out to be. Commonly referred to as Aussie Rules, or footy, it is a fast moving, action packed game, requiring many of the skills found in rugby, basketball, soccer, hockey and a few others thrown in for good measure.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pretty good description from a neutral point of view. -It does look a bit chaotic at first . Why no OFFSIDE. Player numbers are not set positions as in other sports. They can go anywhere. US players call it the 360 degree game. Body contact from any direction.

I dont get it what are you trying to say?
Neddy
Amateur
Amateur

30 Ants

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagles1 wrote:

I dont get it what are you trying to say?
Eagles1
Semi-professional
Semi-professional

64 Ants

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy originally asked the question about Aussie Rules. Posters are not allowed to refer to other sites on here for info purposes. So gave an example description of the sport off a US Aussie Rules web site. Looks like he has disappeared anyhow.
Why dont you give your description of the sport or are you just trolling.
Neddy
Amateur
Amateur

30 Ants

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trolling? what do you mean?

It depends what he wants to know its such a compicated game
Gibbke
Apprentice
Apprentice

12 Ants

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not hard at all to follow, but it's much easier live because the spaces are so big. Despite the chaotic look, there are very well rehearsed tactics, centred around hard running and precise positioning and movement of players in this very big area...

18 on a team, 4 subs who can be used anytime, you pass to a teammate by kicking a drop punt (usually) or the handpass (hold the ball in one hand and punch it with the other, you can't throw), and you have to kick it through the posts. Kick it through the two big middle ones and you get 6 points (a goal), through either of the side areas you get 1 (a behind). A typical score might be 12 goals 6 behinds, written as 12.6 (7Cool (12x6+6=7Cool.

- No offside
- You can run with the ball for 15 metres and then you have to bounce it or touch the ground with it to be allowed to continue doing it.
- A player can be shepherded, bumped, smashed (!) off the ball if the ball is within a 5 metre vicinity when it happens and doesn't violate...
- ...tackling and rough play rules - no touching of the head or top of the shoulder, no raised elbows, no tripping (tackling below the knees)
- When the ball bounces out of bounds, a boundary umpire throws it back in over his head, unless the ball is kicked out on the full, in which case it is a free kick to the other side. The defenders kick in after a behind from the goal square, like soccer.
- The "kickoff" is a bouncing of the ball, contested by a tall player from either side, who taps it to teammates. This is also done whenever there is a "ball-up" around the ground (a stalemate when neither side can wrestle the ball off each other in a congested group tackle, and neither has given away a free kick).

Bit late, but if you read this, hope it helps...
xsky
Amateur
Amateur

24 Ants

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: I may get slammed for this.... Reply with quote

Wiley wrote:
But could someone explain Aussie Football to me? Not trying to be a wise guy or anything like that but I don't really understand and would like to get the basic concept.

Thanks.

are you going to play
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkSport.net Forum Index -> Aussie Rules Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum